What is an Expatriate of Expat?

In general terms, an expatriate – commonly shortened to expat – is someone living in a country different to the one in which they were brought up. Generally the period of residency will be long-term to permanent.

Do I need to file a Federal Tax Return if I live and work 

The rules for filing a United States, U.S. tax return generally apply to you if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien (Green Card Holder) and you live and/or work in a foreign country.

Foreign Income and Filing a U.S. Tax Return

If you lived and/or worked abroad during the Tax Year and you have gross income from worldwide sources that is at least the amount shown for your filing status, you must file a tax return. This also applies to you if you are a U.S. citizens working for the federal government (including the Foreign Service) and you are stationed abroad. 

These factors generally determine whether or not you must file a tax return:

  • Filing status

  • Income you earned while working in a foreign country

  • Age

  • If you are a dependent of another U.S. taxpayer

3701 Long Beach Blvd. Suite 100, Long Beach CA 90807

Tel: (877) 828-8877

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter - White Circle
  • White Yelp Icon
  • LinkedIn - White Circle
  • YouTube - White Circle

© 2020 Wealth Management Financial Advisors, Inc. All rights reserved.